(This is a partial reprint of the 1889 book, prepared for the Ewing Family Association. References to Ewings are underlined.)
PRESBYTERY OF REDSTONE
The synod of New York and Philadelphia, Sept. 19,
1781, and Under its care till 1788;
A part of
THE SYNOD OF VIRGINIA, 1788-1802
The Synod of Pittsburg, 1802-1881;
And now of
THE SYNOD OF PENNSYLVANIA, 1881-1889.
OBSERVER BOOK AND JOB PRINT,
In obedience to a resolution of the General Assembly of 1886, that “Prebyteries be requested to send two copies of their Histories to the Stated Clerk of the General Assembly and to the Presbyterian Historical Society, respectively,” the Presbytery of Redstone appointed the undersigned a committee to prepare a history and transmit the same to the parties named. In the performance of this duty the committee prepared and forwarded the history of the Presbytery to the Stated Clerk of the General
Assembly, and also to the Historian of the Synod of Virginia. In preparing the history they did not hesitate to draw largely from all reliable sources within their reach. It was read before the Presbytery in the fall of 1887 and approved, and the Presbytery directed that the history and the accompanying histories of the several churches secured by the committee, be published in permanent form if satisfactory arrangements could be made.
These arrangements having been completed, the committee have issued this volume. A history of woman’s work in the Presbytery, a list of candidates, licentiates and administers, and the dates of their connection with the Presbytery as far as could be ascertained, and a few personal sketches in connection with the phototypes are added.
The committee cannot forbear expressing regret that this little book gives such an inadequate view of the pioneer work of this earliest of the Presbyteries west of the Alleghenies. They became more and more impressed with its defects as the preparation of it was drawing to a close. But the imperative demands of other duties forbade the research necessary to gather additional materials and properly sift and arrange them, or even to re-arrange what were already in their possession. They send it out hopeing that in some small measure it may preserve facts and give a better understanding of the faithful, self-sacrificing and Consecrated labors of the Fathers, and strengthen the faith and increase the consecration of those who are building on these foundations laid so deep and broad by the laborers who rest from Their labors and “their works do follow them.”
JOHN M. BARNETT,
JOHN C. MELOY,
Rev. Ashbell G. Fairchild, D. D.
Hon. Nathaniel Ewing
... Presbytery in session at Mt. Pleasant, divided Mt. Pleasant church and organized Mt. Pleasant Reunion church, by setting over 170 members, and William B. Neel, William Giffen and John D. McCaleb, ruling elders-- Alexander H. Strickler and Absalom Schail were elected deacons. Shortly after this time the church of Mt. Pleasant requested that Dr. McMillan give them the whole of his time, as did also the Reunion church. In 1873 Presbytery dissolved the pastoral relation existing between Dr. McMillan and the church of Mt. Pleasant and left him pastor of the Reunion church. At the beginning of his labors in the Mt. Pleasant church in 187o it had 241 members. Of these 107 belonged to the Old School branch and 134 to the New School. During his pastorate 126 were received into the communion of the church. At the time of his dismissal, there remained 160. Rev. W. F. Ewing was ordained and installed pastor of this church on June 4th, 1874. “On the 9th of October, 1874, the Presbyterian church of Mt. Pleasant held a Centennial celebration commemorative of the first Presbyterian preaching in the church and neighborhood. The adjoining. congregations of Pleasant Unity and the Reunion Memorial church_both daughters of the Mt. Pleasant church - were present by invitation and participated in the celebration.” Addresses were made by Rev. J. I. Brownson, D . D., Rev. J. M. Barnett, Rev. John McMillan, D. D., and others. Rev. W. F. Ewing resigned in the spring of 1884 to travel for the benefit of his health. Rev. M H. Bradley was installed pastor of the church, October 7th, 1884, and resigned in the spring of 1886. The present pastor, Rev. George P. Donehoo, was ordained and installed October 6th, 1886.
The members of the Church Session, of whom any record remains, are the following: John Vance, for thirty-two years a ruling elder; died, April r5th, 1845. William T. Nicholls, died 1842. John Giffin, an elder for fifty years; died, October 6th, 1854. His father was one of the original elders of the church; his son also is an elder. John Giffen, ordained in 185o. John Hunter, served twenty-four years as ruling elder; died in 1854. Nathaniel Hurst, son-in-law of Dr. Power, was for fifty-five years an elder in the church; died 1861. Hugh Wilson, an elder for...
This history is taken mainly from a history carefully prepared by Rev. S. S. Gilson and published by the church in 1876 and brought down to the present time, April, 1888, by Hon. John K. Ewing, a member of session., A few foot notes are added by the pastor, A. S. Milholland.
There was Presbyterian preaching here before there was a church building or organization.
It was quite certain that Uniontown was occupied by Presbyterian ministers as a placed for preaching more than a century ago. There were Presbyterian churches in this county with the ministry of the word in 1774. This place was embraced in the bounds of Dunlap's Creek Church as early as 1776 and when ministers were so near they would not neglect this point. The earliest record is found in the minutes of Redstone Presbytery, as follows:
At a meeting of the Presbytery, at George’s Creek, October 15th, 1799, application for supplies was made by the vacant congregation of Uniontown. Rev. James Power was appointed for one Sabbath and Rey. Samuel Porter for another. During the following twelve years application was made at irregular intervals for supplies which were appointed. No record can be found of the date of the organization of the church.
About 1812, Rcv. James Dunlap, a man of considerable ability, an ex-President of Jefferson College, came and remained about two years. He was Principal also of an Academy, which occupied the Madison College building. He preached occasionally in the old Court House. In 1816 he went to reside with his son, Rev. Wm. Dunlap, in Abingdon, near Philadelphia, where he remained till his death, November 22d, 1818, in the seventy-fifth year of his age.
Up till 18I7 the preaching was very irregular.
Rcv. William T. Wylie, a native of Washington county, came in 1817, on the invitation of John Lyon, an eminent law- ...
September, 1823, he married Miss Susan Baird, of Washington, Penn, a sister of Judge Thomas Baird. She died in 1824. April 15th, 1828, Dr. Campbell was married in Chambersburg, Pa., to Miss Rachel Broome Lyon, a daughter of Samuel Lyon, Esq., of Carlisle, Pa. By this marriage there were eight children, six of whom are (1888) still living. The subject of this sketch joined the Presbyterian church of Uniontown, October 9th, 1825, at the same time with Nathaniel Ewing, his life-long friend and fellow laborer in the church. He was ordained and installed an elder in this church, September 28th, 1829, and served as an active member of Session till his removal to Allegheny, Penn, in 1865, to enter on his duties as Warden of the Western Penitentiary. Whi1e there he was an elder in Dr. Swift's Church. He returned to Uniontown to reside in 1868. He was a Commissioner to the General Assemblies of 1833, 1834, 1835, 1836, 1838, 1847, 1858 and others. He also represented the Presbyterian Church of this country in the Scotch Assembly at Edinburgh in 1869. Dr. Campbell was a man of eminent ability and exercised great influence for good. He was a close student of the Bible all his life. Amongst his last words were, "I feel it is by the grace of God, I am what I am."
Hugh Espey was elected an elder, December 25th, 1831. He was clerk of Session from March, 1832, till 1851. He was born in the bounds of Tyrone Church, where he made a profes- sion of religion at an early age. About 1812, he removed to Rising Sun, Ind., and was made a Ruling Elder at the organization of the church there, in 1816. On account of poor health he returned to Pennsylvania, in 1822, and died at his home here, trusting in Jesus, in 1852. He was a most excellent man.
Hon. Nathaniel Ewing was born in Fayette county, Pa., July 18th, 1794. He was the son of William Ewing, who came into Fayette county as a surveyor in 1790 and settled in the Dunlap's Creek neighborhood, and married Mary, daughter of Jehu ConW[e]ll. He graduated at Washington College under Dr. Matthew Brown, in 1812, with the highest honors of his class. He taught a year in Newark, Delaware, then studied law with Hon. Thomas McGiffin, of Washington, Pa., and was admitted to the Washing-
ton bar in June, 1816. The next year he removed to Uniontown, where he resided till his death, February 8th, 1874, in the eighti- eth year of his age and the forty-first of his eldership. He uni- ted with the church, October 9th, 1825, and February 3rd, 1833, he was ordained as Ruling Elder. In 1822 he married Jane, the second daughter of the late Judge Kennedy, a most estimable lady, who died in 1825. She was the mother of John Kennedy Ewing, a member of the present Session. In 1830 he married Ann Lyon, daughter of the late Rev. David Denny, of Chambersburg. In 1838 Mr. Ewing was appointed by Governor Ritner, President Judge of the Fourteenth Judicial district to fill a vacancy caused by the resignation of Judge Baird. He served the constitutional term of ten years and left the Bench with increased confidence on the part of the people in his integrity and legal qualifications and without a stain on his judicial ermine. One of the Judges of the Supreme Court, himself a great lawyer, said he was the best Common Pleas Judge in the State. After leaving the Bench, he did not return to the practice of law, except in occasional cases in behalf of old friends. He was a fine ecclesiastical lawyer and had great influence in the General Assembly, of which he was a member in 1836, 1837, 1839 and 1850, as Commissioner from the Presbytery of Redstone. Judge Ewing was the most eminent, useful and influential citizen of Fayette county in his day and he also exercised his activity, influence and talents in the cause of Christ. To the very close of His life there was no apparent weakening of his powerful intellect. As in life, so in death, he leaned on God as the strength of his life and his eternal portion, and on a Sabbath morning quietly breathed his last on earth and began his eternal Sabbath in Heaven.
William Redick and Charles Brown were ordained elders, February 3d, 1833, by Rev. Joel Stoneroad. Mr. Redick served as elder till 1856, when he removed to the State of Illinois, where he now lives. He was born in Venango county in 1799. He was a good man and served with acceptance to the people.
Mr. Brown ceased to act at his own request. He left Fayette county in 1848 and resides in Western Virginia.
David Veech was elected an elder in this church, January 13th, 1845. He was born in Fayette county, June 6th, 1781, of Scotch-lrish parentage. He removed to Greene county in 1812, And was ordained elder in the New Providence Church. In 1832 He settled in the bounds of Dunlap’s Creek Church and served as an elder there till he came to Uniontown in 1839. He served with great acceptance here till laid aside from active service in '61. His death occurred, February 14th, 1866. He was a good man and the memory of his influence and works is still fragrant among us. He was the father James Veech, Esq., long a resident of this community.
Simon B. Mercer and Benjamin Campbell On the 15th of April, 1S66, Mr. Mercer was installed and Mr. Campbell ordained and installed as elders in this church. Mr. Mercer was formerly an elder in the church of Bridgewater, Pa. He served here but on year when he removed to Saltsburg, Pa., where he was installed as elder.
Mr. Campbell was clerk of Session from June, 1866 till June, 1873. He ceased to act from 1873. He was the son of Dr. Hugh Campbell and still resides amongst us.
Jasper Markle Thompson, John Kennedy Ewing, Alexander Wilkinson Boyd and William McCleary, constituted the present (1876) Session. Messrs. Thompson and Ewing were ordained and installed, March 4th, 1860.
Mr. Thompson was born in Kentucky, August 30th, 1822, and came to Uniontown from Westmoreland county, of this State, in 1848, and confessed Christ here. He was a member of the Legislature in 1873.
Mr. Ewing was born, December 15th 1823 and has resided here all his life. He was Commissioner of the General Assembly that met in Pittsburgh in 1865. (Judge Ewing was also a member of the Assembly that met in Omaha, Neb., in 1887. He was Chairman of the Committee on the Board of Aid for Colleges and Academies. He also introduced a series of resolutions recommending important changes in “The Church at Home and Abroad,” which was adopted.
Mr. Boyd, born April 1st, 1831, came by letter from the United Presbyterian Church and was ordained to the office of elder here, April 15th, 1866. He was a delegate to the General Assembly of 1874.
Mr. McCleary, born October 10th, 1813, came from the M. E. Church, by letter, to the Old Frame Church in this county, and was ordained as an elder by Rev. H. O. Rosborough, the pastor, May 1st, 1864. He became a member of Session here, October 10th, 1868.
In December, 1867, William H. Bailey, William H. Miller, Richard Miller and Daniel F. Cooper, were elected, ordained and installed as Deacons and the care of the church property passed from the care of Trustees into their hands. W. H. Bailey was made treasurer.
Before 1825 the membership is unknown. Dr. Fairchild held the first election for elders, of which there is any record and formally organized the church, February 24th, 1825. The membership then was fifty-three, of whom forty-two were women. In 1826 it was sixty and at the close of Mr. Stoneroad's pastorate, in 1842, 157. The largest addition made to the roll at any time, was during the first year of Mr. Stoneroad's labors, when forty-eight were added. During the last year of Mr. Hamilton's labors, twenty-nine were received and, during the first two years of Mr. Gilson's pastorate, seventy. In 1876 the roll showed 193 in communion. The six oldest members are Mrs. Elizabeth Lewis, received by confession and baptism, June 26th, 1825 ; Mrs. Rachel Campbell, widow of Dr. H. Campbell, received by letter, October 2Ist, 1830; Mrs. Ann L. Ewing, widow of Hon. Nathaniel Ewing, received by letter, November 13th, 1830 ; Mrs. Eliza Willson, by letter, October 6th, 1833; Mrs. Catharine Dicus, on examination, October 6th, 1833; Miss Agnes Dutton, on examination, August 12th, 1836 (the last three are still in the membership of this church, September, 1888.)
The first record of a contribution occurs in 1829, when $3.00 were given to the Commissioners' fund. At first the contributions were irregular and full statistics were not kept until about twenty-five years ago. The benevolence of the church, like its membership, though varying much in different years, has in the main steadily grown. During the years covered by statistics, this church has given in all over $50,000, besides much of which there is no record.
The weekly prayer meeting has been in existence from a very early period. Its experience has been the usual one, sometimes flourishing and sometimes languishing.
Judge Ewing and Dr. Campbell were constant and efficient helpers. The prayer meeting has always been well attended by the women of the church and there have been occasions when there was not a man present. For fifty years, at least, a monthly concert of prayer for missions has kept up with more or less regularity and with varying interest.
THE SABBATH SCHOOL.
The germ of this Sabbath School--the first in Uniontown-was a class taught by Mrs. Wylie, in her own home. A school was formally organized about 1820, and Rev. Wm. Wylie superintended it till his removal to Wheeling. Miss "Betsey" Hadden sometimes conducted it for long periods entirely alone. After her death, the successive superintendents were Nathaniel Ewing, Joseph Kibler, E. P. Oliphant, Dr. H. Campbell, W. H. Bailey and A. W. Boyd.
In 1848 Dr. Campbell was elected superintendent and held the office till 1865, the longest service ever given in this Sabbath School by one man. Up to 1848 the average attendance annually was about eighty. During Dr. Campbell's superintendency the contributions to the cause of missions were about 121.
The first services were held in the old Court House, which stood on the site of the present one. About the year 1824, a
church edifice was begun, which after various difficulties was completed and dedicated in January, 1827. It was on the public ground, a little south of the site of the present Town Hall, with the gable fronting Morgantown street and stood a little back from the street. It cost about $3,000. It was a plain, one-story brick, about 30x50. Objection being made to occupying the public grounds, the present location was purchased in 1836 and a second building erected. Elder Wm. Redick was the architect, contractor and builder of this new edifice. It was of brick, two-story, with high windows answering for both stories, with vestibule, steeple and bell, and large columns in front. The lecture room was occupied in the fall of 1837 and the audience room the next spring. It cost about $5,500. The building was not very satisfactory and a fire in April, 1857, which damaged the interior,gave a reason for building the present edifice. This is of brick, two stories, 47x75 feet in size, semi-gothic in style. The windows are of stained glass. It was dedicated to God, April 10th, 1860, and cost, exclusive of the lot, about $10,000.
The memorial fund raised by the congregation was appropriated to the building of a parsonage. This work was begun in September, 1875, and complete in 1876, and stands as a monument of the Centennial year. It was a handsome and convenient brick house on Gallatin avenue and cost $4,200. (This building was sold in 1879, as it was thought to be too far out of town.)
Only two men have entered the Gospel ministry from this congregation, Wm. Campbell and Samuel Campbell, sons of Dr. Hugh Campbell.
The preceding pages bring our history to the close of November, 1876. In December following, the congregation at a meeting, properly called, declined to adopt the Rotary System of Eldership. A.W. Boyd, a Ruling Elder, having removed, was dismissed, April, 1877.
Charles L. Smith, Isaiah W. Miller, Morgan H. Bowman, Josiah V. Thompson and Samuel E. Ewing, were elected Deacons, June 1st, 1878, and a1l, except J. V. Thompson, who declined, were ordained and installed, June 16th, 1878. Of the pre-
vious members of the Board, W. H. Bailey removed to Minneapolis, Minn., early in 1879; Richard Mi1ler, died, July 7th, 1880, and Daniel F. Cooper removed to Port Perry, Pa., March, 1888. M. H. Bowman was made treasurer.
Rev. S. S. Gilson resigned the pastorate and the congregation acquiescing, the relation was dissolved, June, 1879.
A call was made, April 17th, 1880, for Rev A. S. Mulholland and accepted and he was installed as pastor, June, 1880.
James A. Phillips, John A. C. Boyd and Nathaniel Ewing were elected elders, April 21st, 1883, and ordained and installed, May 6th, following. C. L. Smith, deacon, was dismissed, May, 1883, and J. A. Phillips, elder, January, 1888.
The degree of D. D. was conferred on Rev. A. S. Milholland, by the University of Wooster, O., June 24th, 1885.
During the latter year, the congregation erected a handsome brick parsonage.
Mr. H. S. Clark is Superintendent of the Sabbath School and it has increased from 100, as reported, April 1st 1877, to 263. There were added to the church last year on examination, twenty-four, of whom eleven were baptized, and by letter, sixteen. The number of communicants has increased from 193, April 1st, 1877 to 310, April 1st, 1888.
By REV. R. M. KERR.
The exact date of the organization of this church is unknown. Probably the congregation never was formally organized, as all new congregations now are, and it may not have had any Ruling Elders for years. In the minutes of the Presbytery of...
PRESBYTERY OF REDSTONE.
ROLL OF MINISTERS AND LICENTIATES.
No. 1. Joseph Smith. Original member; lic. P.b.y. New Castle, Aug. 5, '67: ord. and inst. Lower Brandywine, Del., P. April 19, ‘67 -1772; 2d ch. Brandywine, P. 1774-1778; transferred to Presbytery of Redstone; P. Buffalo and Cross Creek, 1780- 1792; died, April 19, 1792.
No. 2. John McMillan, D. D. Original member; lic. 1774, Pres. New Castle; ord. Pres. Donegal; P. Chartiers and Pigeon Creek, 1781-1833; set over to form Ohio Pres., Oct. 18, 1793; died, Nov. 16, 1833; founded the "Log College" about 1780-'82.
No. 3. James Power, D. D. Original member; lic. June 24, 1772, by Pres. of Castle; ord. by same, 1776; P. Sewickley, 1781-1787; Mt. Pleasant, 1787-April 15, 1817; died, Aug. 5, 1830.
No. 4. Thaddeus Dodd. Original member: Lic. 1775, Pres. New York; ord. same Pres., 1777; P. Patterson's Creek, Hampshire co., Va., 1777-1779; transferred to Ten Mile, Redstone; P. 1781-1793; taught Ten Mile and Washington; died, May 20, 1793.
No, 5. James Dunlap, D. D. Lic. 1776, Pres. Donegal; ord. 1781, Pres. New Castle; rec'd, Oct. 15, 1782; P. Dunlap's Creek, 1782-'89; Laurel Hill, 1782-June 29, 1803; dis. Pres. Ohio, June 29, 1803; Prcs’t Jcff Coll., 1803-1811 ; rec'ed, Oct. 29, 1813, Ohio : P. Uniontown, 1812-1814; dis. Oct. 16, 1816, Phila.; died, 1818.
No. 6. John Clark. Rec'd Prcs. New Castle, March 12, 1783; supplied for a time Peter's Creek ; P. Lebanon, April; 1788, Bethel-transferred to Pres. Ohio, Oct. 18, 1793.
No. 7. James Finley. Ord. and inst. by New Castle Pres. P. East Nottingham, Md., l752-1782; rec'd, June 21, 1785; P. Rehoboth and Round Hill, 1785-1795; died, Jan. 6, 1795.
No. 71. Rev. Nathaniel R. Snowden. Rec'd, April 19, ’25. Pres. Northumberland; supplied Kittanning and elsewhere; dis. to Allegheny Pres., Oct. 6, '30.
No.72. Rev. Joseph Harper. Rec’d, April 19, '25, Pres. Richland; inst. P. Saltsburg and Warren, 3rd Thursday May, '25; res. Warren, Oct. 6 ’29; res. Saltsburg and dis. To Hartford (or Eire), Oct. 5, ’31.
No. 73. Rev. George Vaneman. Attached by Synod to Redstone, from Ohio, Oct. 3, '26: P. New Providence and Jefferson; res. April 8, '35; to Pres. Miami, June 18, '35.
No.74. Elisha D. Barret, M. D. Cand., Oct. 5, '25; lic. April 12, ’27 ord. P. Lower Plum Creek and Glade Run, Dec. 10, '28; set over to Blairsville Pres., Oct. 30, '30.
No. 75. Samuel McFarren. Licentiate rec'd, Aug. 29, '27 ,Pres. Washington; ord, and inst. P. Congruity, Oct. 3, '27; set over to Blairsville Pres., Oct. 30, ‘30
No. 76. John Holmes Agnew. Licentiate rec’d, Dec. 11, '27, Pres.; Carlisle, and ord. and int. P. Uniontown, Jan. 26, '28; Res. April 2, ’31, and dis Washington Pres.
No. 77. Adam Torrence. Cand., Oct. 8, '28; lic. Oct. 7, '30; dis. to Prcs. Richland, Oct. 4, '31.
No. 78. Robert Henry. Licentiate rec'd, Oct. 7, '29, From 2d Pres. New York; ord. and inst. P. Greensburg and Unity, Apii1 7, '30; died, '39.
No. 79. John T. Ewing, Licentiate rec'd, Oct. 21, '29, from Pres. Brunswick; to Blairsville Pres., Dec 6, ’31.
No. 80. Watson Hughes, Licentiate rec'd, June 15, '30, Pres. Hartford; ord. and inst. P. Saltsburg and Warren, Oct 6, '30; set over to Blairsville, Oct 30, ’30; from Blairsville, April 8, ’51; inst. P. West Newton, June 11–Sept 20, ’54, and dis. to Pres Ohio; from Pres. Ohio, Nov. 11, ’57; died, March 25, ’69.
No. 81. James Campbell. Licentiate rec'd, June 15, '30, Pres. New Brunswick; ord. and inst. P. Kittanning and Crooked Creek, Aug. 11, ’30; set over to Blairsville, Oct. 30, '30.
No. 215. Rev. Wm. F. Kean. From Pres. Allegheny, April 23, 1872; declined call to Sewickley; S. S. about 6 mos.; dis. to Pres. Blairsville, Dec. 31, '72; deceased.
No. 216. R. R. Gailey. Licentiate from Pres. Wooster, April 24, 1872; ord. and inst. P. Little Redstone and Fayette City, June 11, '79; res. Fayette, June 15, '75; res. Little Red-stone, June 11, '79; inst. P. Laurel Hill, Sept. 12, '79; rcs. March 13,'82; dis. Pres. Steubenville, April 24,'82.
No. 217. Wm. N. Sloan. Cand. from Pres. Wooster, April 24, 1872; lic. April 24,'’72; dis. to Pres. Pittsburg, April 22, ’73.
No. 218. Rev. John B. Dickey. From Pres. Steubenville, June 11, 1872; inst. P. Round Hill, June 25; res. April 25, '77; dis. to Pres. West Virginia, April 23,'78.
No. 2I9. Rev. George K. Scott. From Pres. Blairsville, Oct. 21, '72; called to Sewickley, April 22, '73; not installed; S. S. till about Dec.'73; dis. May 12, '74.
No. 220. Rev. James W. Wightman. From Pres. Pittsburg, Dec. 31, 1872, and inst. P. McKeesport; res. Aug. 14, '77, and dis. to Pres. Louisville; D. D.
No. 221. Wm. S. Fulton. Dunlap's Creek Ch., cand., April 22, 1873; lic. April 29, '74; dis. to Pres. Erie, April 27, '75.
No. 222. Rev. John W. Martin, D. D. From Pres. Steubenville, April 23, 1873; S. Supply Tent and Fairchance, Oct.,'73 ; dis. to Pres. Steubenville, March, '75; deceased.
No. 223. Rev. Samuel S. Gilson. From Pres. Louisville, April 28, 1874; inst. P. Uniontown, May 2, '74; res. June 10, '79; dis. to Pres. Steubenville, Oct. 16, '80.
No. 224. Rev. J. W. Little. Rec'cl Pres. Pittsburg, April 28, 1874; inst. P. Long Run, May 11, '74; res. May 1, '75; dis. to Pres. Allegheny, Oct. 29, '75.
No. 225. Wm. F. Ewing. Licentiate rec'd, from Pres. Kittanning, April 29, 1874; ord. and inst. P. Mt. Pleasant, June 4, '74; rcs. June 12, '83; died, Dec. 15, '83.
PRESENT MINISTERS AND CHURCHES.
MIINISTERS AND LICENTIATES
John W. Scott, D. D., H. R.
Washington, D. C.
N. Grier White, H. R.
New Haven, Pa.
John McClintock, P.
New Providence, P.
S. F. Farmer, D. D., P.
H. O. Rosborourgh, P.
George's Creek, P.
John M. Barnett, Fin. Sec.
Boyd M. Kerr, P.
A. S. Milholland, D. D., P.
John C. Meloy, P.
West Newton, Pa.
West Newton, P.
Brainerd T. DeWitt, P.
Round Hill, P.
Wm. G. Stervart, P.
Joseph J. McCarrell, P.
Perrin Baker, P.
Wm. A. Edie, P.
Samuel E. Elliott, P.
Mt. Pleasant, Pa.
Mt. P. Reunion, P.
M. C. Bailey, Ph. D., P.
Chas. P. Cheeseman. P.
Long Run, P.
Mt. Vernon, P.
Z. B. Taylor, P.
C. J. Forsythe, P.
H. C. Morledge, P.
G. P. Dorrehoo, P.
Mt. Pleasant, Pa.
Mt. Pleasant, P.
Robert F. Smith, P.
Pleasant Unity, Pa.
Pleasant Unity, P.
A. W. Emmons, P.
West Newton, Pa.
Joseph L. Hunter, P
Wymp's Gap, Pa.
J. B. Reed, Pres.W. Va, P. E.
Laurel Hill, Pa.
Laurel Hill, P. E.
F. M. Collier, licensed, April 28, 1886; dismissed to the Presbytery of Gunnison, Sept. 21, 1887. Alex. S. Hunter, licentiate (in tr.)
Vacant: Dunlap's Creek, Spring Hill Furnace, Somerset, Mt. Washington, Jenner, and Fayette City.
H. H. Ryland, Spring Hi11 Furnace, Sept. 22, 1884.
C. L. V. McKee, Laurel Hill, April. 1885.
J. P. Blackburn, Rehoboth, April 28, 1886.
R. A. Herwick, Rehoboth, April 28, 1886.
Jacob Humbert, Tent, June 17, 1886.
J. B. Wallace, Mt. Pleasant, Sept. 29, 1886.
An earnest effort was made to secure likenesses of the early fathers of the Presbytery and also members of more recent date. This effort has only been partially successful. Of some there were no likenesses in existence. The original of Dr. Fairchild was an old time daguerreotype, excellent at first and a precious heirloom, but injured so as to prevent its being successfully copied. Judge Ewing's phototype does not do him justice. It was photographed from an oil painting and then phototyped.
The phototypes of Dr. Campbell and Joseph Paull will be readily recognized by all who knew them. Of the excellence of the steel engravings of Rev. Joel Stoneroad, Rev. George Paull, Redstone's representative on Africa’s soil and Hon. Jasper M. Thompson, we need not speak.
...the honored parents and other friends in the early demise of such a relation and son, divinely assured that however great their loss to him it was unutterable gain." Minutes Redstone Presbytery. October 19th, 1865.
DR. CAMPBELL AND JUDGE EWING.
It is proper to add some additional items in regard to Dr. Campbell and Judge Ewing. In the history of Uniontown Church, prepared by Rev. S. S. Gilson, there is this record : "October the 9th, 1825, is a date long to be remembered by this congregation. It was then that the two young men, Dr. Hugh Campbell and Nathaniel Ewing, Esq., came for the first time to the Lord's Table. Together they followed Christ with reverence and Godly fear for almost half a century. These men were properly regarded as the pillars of the church in their day, and it is hardly possible now to unduly exalt their influence as Christian citizens. They were also exceedingly useful in the higher courts of the church to which they were so frequently delegates. Indeed, it came to be said in Presbytery in regard to the Commissioners to the General Assembly; ‘it was Dr. Campbell one year and Judge Ewing the next.' Dr. Campbell was a member of the, famous General Assembly which met in Pittsburg in 1838, at the time of the disruption. A man of far more than ordinary ability, he made his influence felt in that body. During the discussion he arose and made a remark or two which attracted attention. Some Doctor of Divinity made a remark which combed him a little, and wanted to know who is ‘this young David?’
"The doctor arose and said: ‘I am a very humble elder from a very humble Church and a very humble Presbytery, but I thank God I have the same rights on this floor as the most learned Doctor of Divinity or the greatest lawyer here.’ He then proceeded to score his unfortunate antagonist in a speech of wonderful keenness, which electrified the Assembly. He was an excellent and impressive speaker and his addresses on the subject of Temperance were very eloquent.’ “
The following tribute was prepared by his life-long friend, Nathaniel Ewing, and offered and adopted in session: "Formore than thirty-five years Dr. Campbell has exercised continuously the office of Ruling Elder in this church with uniform acceptance and eminent ability and faithfulness, During this long period his exemplary walk, the abundance of his benefactions, exertions and prayers, and his diligent and scrupulous discharge of official duty, contributed largely to the maintenance, growth and establishment of the church. By the eminence of his gifts, also, he was enabled to perform effective service for the general interests of the Master's cause by sitting, on frequent occasions, as a member in each of the Superior Judicatories."
These words apply also with equal force to Judge Ewing as descriptive of his life and service. For almost forty-one years he was a member of the Session of Uniontown Church and very often a member of some of the higher courts. The compiler of this well remembers to hear his father speak of a General Assembly of which Judge Ewing was a member. Some knotty question was before the body. Difficulties increased and no one seemed to know what to do, when Judge Ewing got up and in a few minutes cleared away the difficulties, so that the Assembly finished the business readily and properly. He acquired great influence in the Assembly and perhaps the most important service of this kind ever rendered was a report which he made on the decision of Judge Rodgers, of the Nisi Prius Court at Philadelphia, against the Presbyterian Church. This report is recorded in Full in the Minute Book of the Presbytery, covering six pages.
Judge Ewing acquired large wealth and gave liberally to the Lord without letting his right hand know what the left did. He chiefly gave his benefactions while he lived and was personally attentive to the wants of the poor of this community who were brought to his notice.
He was President Judge of the County Court and a Ruling Elder in the church, and his son, Hon. John K. Ewing, was also President Judge and is a Ruling Elder in the same church. His grandson, Nathaniel Ewing, is keeping up the succession, being
President Judge in the county and a Ruling Elder in the church of his grandfather and his father.
Among all those who have served in the eldership of Redstone Presbytery, no man was more respected and beloved than Joseph Paull. He descended from an honored ancestry. The first records in the Paull family date back to 1765, eleven years before the Declaration of Independence, and speak of George Paull as a resident of Berkeley county, Va., who, with his wife, Martha Irwin, four years later, in 1769, removed to Fayette county, Pa., locating a tract of land, which has been transmitted from father to son for four generations, and is still in possession of the family. His son was Col. James Paull, Sr., who was married to Miss Elizabeth Rogers, and was a distinguished citizen of Fayette county up to his death which occurred in 1841. Joseph Paull, the son of James and Elizabeth, was born in the old homestead, in November, 1808, and, with the exception of two or three years, spent all his life in the place of his birth. He was married, June 4th, 1833, to Miss Eliza Lea Rogers, by whom he became the father of ten children, some of who have attained to prominent positions in the world; his second son, Aaron, killed in the battle of Shiloh, was a rising young lawyer in the State of Texas; his third son, George, went as a missionary to Africa, and died two years after his arrival, and his remains lie buried on the Island of Corisco; his daughter, Mary Elizabeth, is the wife of Rev. N. H. G. Fife, of Sterling, Ill., one of the most successful pastors in the State of Illinois; his son, Joseph Rogers, is an Attorney-at-Law and Judge of the Circuit Court in the city of Wheeling, Va., and his son, James L., is a Ruling Elder in the First Presbyterian Church of Connellsville, Pa. Mr. Paull dated the beginning of his religious life from a Methodist camp-meeting, where he was converted at the age of twenty-one years. Soon after, he united with the Presbyterian Church of Tyrone and afterwards with Laurel Hill. He was elected a...